Sunday, April 22, 2012

70s Style

I think I could do this all day....my favorite icons and looks of the 70s!  



I so wanted to be one of Charlie's Angels!  

Source
Clean cut image?  Absolutely!  But sky rocketing on style...it's hard to watch the Mary Tyler Moore show and not want to wear what she's wearing!  And can we talk about her FABULOUS apartment!!!  The girl didn't even have her own bed room, but she had a killer closet!

Source

Source

Lynda Carter as Diana Prince in Wonder Woman!  It was so fun to pretend to be her and spin around and around trying to change into Wonder Woman!  But it's her wardrobe that I'd take now!  She epitomized 70s chic!  I ADORE the hair in both of these pictures!
Source

Call her Ms Ross!   I had a serious Diana Ross obsession when I went into high school and to this day I can sing every word and sound of Ain't No Mountain High Enough!  This is her from her Mahogany days and they just don't come any more stunning than this!  I would LOVE to wear this gown that she has on, but I'm thinking I can at least maybe DIY a pair of tassels like she has on.

Source


Okay, she may have lived in the projects but Willona had some SERIOUS style!!  I used to always wonder how she could be so poor and dress so well!  What she's wearing right there, I'd put on in a heartbeat today!  And actually, Velma's looking pretty chic herself!

Source


Can we talk about Cher?  She was not afraid to work the drama, even early in her career.
Source

Source

This.  Right here.  I love this whole look.  The severe hair.  The huge earrings.  The black and white tunic.
 PER. FECK. SHUN!
Source 
I came across a model from the 70s named Pat Cleveland.  She was simply STUNNING!  No all American Christi Brinkley good looks here.  She was over the top WOW!  Completely inspirational!  


Lesson learned:  We all are going to get dressed every day anyway.  Why not go for a dramatic effect and make it memorable!

Photobucket

20 comments:

  1. I love the 70s style Serene! It's so feminine but very dramatic. I especially love the last photo, I could see myself wearing that today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean! That was one of my favorites too!

      Delete
  2. Great choices, Serene! At one time in my life, I loved the style of all of these women! I also wanted to be a Charlie's Angel...the original ones that is! I also wanted to be a Beatle girlfriend...that was when I cut bangs and I still have them today! Hope all is well your way..have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pam, your bangs look so great on you! I wish I had a forehead so I could wear them!!

      Delete
  3. Oh, this post is so much fun! You know, I had trouble truly enjoying 70's style, at the time, because I was so woefully insecure about my own appearance. But now that it's coming around the second time, I just love it! Happy that I'm getting a chance to enjoy it. Thanks for pulling up such enjoyable examples.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad that age helps our insecurities at least start to fade some! I'm so happy that you're a 70s fan as well!!

      Delete
  4. I love Linda Carter's looks, to be honest the 70's is not one of my favorite decades, but I do enjoy seeing my parents pictures from back then, my mom was so stylish in her bell bottoms and platforms and my dad with a big fro and beard hehehe I still chuckle when I see their pictures. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shey, I just was NUTS over Linda Carter's looks! I bet your mom was as stylish as you are!

      Delete
  5. Oh, Kate was my favorite Charlie's Angel. I hadn't known about your Diana Ross obsession. I have that too. Hm, wonder if we could do a Supremes post??? My favorite tune is BABY LOVE.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terri, Kate was mine as well! I appreciated her intelligence and her chic style. Unfortunately, the creators weren't loving her and I don't think she lasted more than the first season.... :(. I'd love to do a Supremes post with you! My dad had The Supremes Greatest Hits album and I played that over and over when I was in HS. I memorized most of the songs and would "perform" in my bedroom with a brush microphone! LOL

      Delete
  6. Love them all! I remember watching "Wonder Woman" as a kid and (after spinning around and around) wanting Lynda Carter's big glasses! Mary Tyler Moore in the Mary Tyler Moore Show: I call her the Carrie Bradshaw of the 1970s; I just love every thing about that show. I would add Lauren Hutton from the 1970s to your list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so right!!! Mary WAS the Carrie of the 70s! So stylish and independent, but she did not seem to be as man hungry as Carrie was. I'll have to look up some of Lauren Hutton's 70s styles. I know she is such an icon today!

      Delete
  7. Aaaahhh-the seventies!! Remeber them (too) well!!
    My fashion motto: If you can't hide it-decorate it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOVE that! "If you can't hide it - decorate it!" I may have to adopt that as my motto too!

      Delete
  8. These pictures are such a fun reminder and I think the 70's inspired style is even better today! I loved Pat Cleveland back in the day. Don't forget Marissa Berenson, too. When Lady Sings the Blues with Diana Ross and Billy D. Williams came out, I thought I'd lost my (stye) mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jean, you are right. ON! I had not heard of Pat Cleveland, but she is just gorgeous and what style!!! Oh I LOVE Lady Sings The Blues!! Diana Ross was AMAZING and Billy D. was hot stuff!!!

      Delete
  9. Thanks for the 70's review. I remember that decade like it was yesterday, when dancing was the main event.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love love love this post! Lynda Carter in those glasses is priceless! I loved Charlie's Angels too (and had the dolls in their little jumpsuits, boots and scarves!) and I never get tired of Cher. I know about Pat Cleveland but I haven't seen too many pictures of her so thanks for including her. Also, I noticed a scarf on your bag in the previous post. Won't you join Adrienne and me for our Favorite Silk Scarf post next week? I would love to use that picture of you in the red (yowza!)and also see a closeup of the bag with the scarf tied around it, because that is one of my favorite ways to see a scarf used. XO, Jill

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jill, I'd be glad to! That's probably my favorite way to wear a scarf too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Linda Carter was my favorite ,too and I always felt so brave after watching an episode.All style icons you picked are so great and it's good to take a walk down the memory lane.Please come up with some more of these.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! ~Serene