Sunday, March 11, 2012

Body Changes = Attitude is EVERYTHING!



Disclaimer:  My husband LOVES the zipper detail in this skirt and just couldn't resist pushing the limits of my conservative comfort zone!



A few weeks ago, I read this post by Natasha detailing her coming to terms with no longer being a size 8.  Of course the title caught my attention...utter transparency snatches my attention every time. Natasha's opens her post stating,

After months of denial, I have finally accepted the fact that I am no longer a size 8.   In my acceptance, I did the unthinkable, but probably in hindsight the right thing, I removed most (there are just some pieces I couldn’t let go of) of  the size 8′s (especially the pants) that were taking up space in my closet and donated them.  


First of all, I think I totally love her!  Seriously!  Secondly, it's with growing acceptance that I say, "I can relate!"  The past year, my body has changed dramatically (to my eye, anyway).  It's not typical weight gain, but rather age related (I'm 45) weight redistribution.  I almost feel as if I'm in someone else's body sometimes!  My waist, which I've NEVER had an issue with before, has thickened.  My breasts, (I've always been flat chested) have grown (GASP!!) without any outside influence!  My legs are stronger and firmer than ever, so that's been a plus.  But I have to accept that my body is NOT the same as it was a year ago, or two years ago.  And that doesn't HAVE to be a bad thing.

As in most cases, perception is everything.  I can perceive myself to be "heavier" or I can choose to see myself through a woman's eyes; understanding that bodies change and it's a natural part of life.  Skinny doesn't equal attractive anymore than curvy equals fat.  But I'm going to be honest here.  This has not been an easy transition in my thinking, nor is it complete.  But I can honestly say that I'm getting there.

One of the things that helps is knowing that I'm doing the healthy things; and so if this is where my body rests, then it must be my "normal".   I regularly exercise.  I eat healthy MOST of the time.  I've spent a HUGE chunk of my life dieting.  Feeling guilty for eating.  Wanting to look like someone other than myself.  I'm really not interested in going back to that twisted mindset.

So from what I can tell, I have three choices.  1....I can get depressed and whine about getting older.  That is soooooo not me!  2.....I can determine that I'm not letting this happen and amp up my workouts and carefully guard my calorie intake.  NOT really feeling this option at ALL!  Do I REALLY want to spend my life working for my body?  Isn't it supposed to be working for me???  or 3....Accept and Embrace this new, more.....dare I say it?  BOMBSHELL figure!  Monty, I'm going with what's behind Door #3!   I guess one's never to old to learn how to work the BOMBSHELL!

 And by the way, PLEASE be sure to check out the other visible ladies over at Not Dead Yet Style!


Photobucket

25 comments:

  1. I love this post, Serene, and your beautiful honesty about aging. I think you look gorgeous and I am so happy you are going with door #3 : > Thanks for linking up with Visible Monday, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Serene, I adore this post. Thank you. I definitely agree that we need a balanced approach: we need to try harder to exercise and be healthy at our age, but we don't have to kill ourselves chasing an ideal that our bodies might not want. You look so gorgeous, and your curves are fabulous, in my view. (Now if you could just help me to embrace my frowny forehead lines!) I'll follow your example and try; we are evolving and growing, after all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hooray for you Serene! I love this post. You are so honest and it is so refreshing.
    I think the way you styled this outfit is just perfect. I love the shoes and bag with it. I think that handbags are what I need to make my outfits look sharper. I carry them, why not show them in my photos? Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. God bless your holy, fecking gorgeous bombshell figure Serene!!! I LOVED reading this so much and I love how you've given yourself three options ... the way you describe option two is exceptional. I don't criticise women who choose to do the body-con thing at all, after all it's healthy! But it can become so self-obsessive don't you think? And really, really boring!! My eyeballs are popping out of my head at your gams in your amazeballs zipper skirt hon!!! Go Serene!!!! xoxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. You sure own it pretty lady! You look sexy! =D
    I'm so glad you are learning to embrace your figure, you look amazing. I love that zipper detail in your skirt too, no wonder your hubby loves it hehe

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are beautiful Serene! Great post about self acceptance while wearing the skirt with zipper deatail.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the photos taken from above and can certainly appreciate a husband's taste for "dangerous clothing." The thickening waist line (and shrinking breasts) and changes in skin tone are what affect me most about my appearance. I struggle with it too, but I'm not fighting it in any way really. I've made some dietary changes, but mostly I keep pondering a theory that is forming in my mind about the way the Creator designed our female bodies--they were made to expand and shrink for biological reasons. Women should celebrate that quality.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful post Serena!!! You look fantastic (LOVE the outfit)
    We as women need to embrace our individuality and not allow the "media" to dictate to us what is beautiful and "acceptable"

    ReplyDelete
  9. Show me a man who can resist a zip, and I'll show you a dead man!

    Love the outfit. No way warm enough for us to wear that here yet.

    Cheers,
    Rosemary from www.foreveronthecatwalkoflife.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. wohoo...I like that skirt, and the zipper that can go all the waaaaay up. Haha..nice! Looks great with a printed top. First of all, I am a skinny body type with a bony chest and droopy shoulders, believe me I look horrible in spaghetti strap tops or tube tops so I avoid them like poison. Every kind of body shape has it's flaws. I think you look great -just the way you are. I see a confident, and charming and beautiful personality plus a fabulous style. As long as we eat healthily, a little indulgence is perfectly fine. There's no perfection in this world anyway. Beauty comes from the heart :-)

    mongs
    mythriftycloset.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi! I can totally relate to your post. After having kids and turning 40, my body has gone through lots of changes (and it doesn't seem to be done yet...). It helps me to remember that it's the clothes' job to fit the body, not the body's job to fit the clothes. I sometimes alter my clothes for better fit (simple how-tos on my blog). Love your outfit--really makes the most of your figure--great colors and details. Bombshell, indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm right there with you Sista~ I too, unfortunately have packed on too many unwanted punds in the past few years and it's driving me crazy. The day came for me when I too, had to accept reality and get rid of clothes that no longer fit and get rid of them to make room for the new "size"-Ugh!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well, we all have to come to terms with it sooner or later...everything redistributed to my middle! And the boob thing...I completely get! I have to say though you look gorgeous in these pictures!! You look young, healthy, happy and just beautiful...that's what matters...I so wish I was your size!! I hope you get some new followers...i sent some people your way from the conference I attended this past weekend! I told them they had to check out your blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are too cute! I love your outfit and the side zipper detail :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great post! I love the idea of coming to terms with our being.
    I LOVE the zippers on your skirt! Sexy momma!

    Jeannie

    ReplyDelete
  16. i loooove your skirt! thanks for the sweet comment and for following me! i am following back :)))

    ReplyDelete
  17. Terrific shirt, and interesting point being made. Also, how can you even remember Monte Hall? 45 isn't that old!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beryl! I grew up watching Let's Make A Deal! LOL

      Delete
  18. Thank you so much for this post. I am 46 and am noticing a lot of changes to my body that I am having a hard time with. I am trying to be accepting but it is just really really hard. I have always had (I realize now) a very good body and now it is a good body that is aging - and you are right - that's not a bad thing, just takes some attitude adjustment. WOrds of wisdom like this post really help me feel like I am not alone and someone understands. My husband is so supportive and compliments me all the time but I am so self conscious. I really need to get over it. It really makes me feel self absorbed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't we just so hard on ourselves? You are not alone at ALL! Oh my goodness, I have thought I was going crazy! I mean, how can a body change so much in such a short period of time...but it's just nature taking it's course. Knowing that the process happens to us all helps me build a sense of community around it in my mind. How wonderful that your husband is so sweet?!?! I'm fortunate that way too! And again, I know how you feel, self absorbtion is exhausting! I'm sooooo glad this was a bit of encouragement for you. Many hugs! ~Serene

      Delete
  19. Really nice post! You look gorgeous and I adore the skirt - the zip effect is so cool. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! That was a favorite detail of mine too!

      Delete
  20. First, hello bombshell! Second, are you SURE you're 45? Because I'm just not seeing it. You look so good and whatever you are doing, keep it up! And the zipper on the skirt, so smokin' hot on you! XO, Jill

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love your posts and attitude because you remind me to put a little "classy sass" into my outfits! I tend to cover up everything, and I forget about fresh, shiny glamour. I might have to pull out my pink lipgloss and let my hair curl a little tomorrow! I think my husband will like that.

    Love, Jean

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! ~Serene