|Top: My sons', Skirt: Leather Vintage Thrifted, Shoes: BCBG Thrifted|
Seven Don'ts of Thrifting
1. DON'T pass by a "not so nice" looking Thrift Store. This vintage leather skirt was purchased at a Thrift dive a couple of weeks ago for $2! Some of the BEST things I've found were bought in some of the WORST looking places. Let others avoid those dusty shops while you clean up like a fat cat!
2. DON'T buy anything for yourself that you're not crazy about. Seriously, if you even have to ask yourself, "Hmm, should I get this?", then the answer is probably "No". If you DO this DON'T, you'll be guaranteed to end up with a closet full of "so so" instead of a closet full of "FABULOUS!".
3. DON'T leave anything behind that you really want. Most likely, it WILL NOT be there when you go back. Rule of thrifting, if you think you're going to be thinking about it long after you leave the store, better get it right then!
4. DON'T be afraid to get out of your comfort zone. Did I ever think I'd like this aqua blue green color? Absolutely not. But for $2....knowing that it's a quality buttery leather skirt makes it easier for me to experiment and find out that I actually DO like the color of a 1963 bathroom!
5. DON'T hit and miss. I often hear, "Wow Serene! How do you find such great stuff at thrift stores? I NEVER find stuff like that!" There's no special magic I have for finding things. I enjoy the hunt, so I go often and scour the racks. When it comes to skirts, dresses, and sweaters; I will quickly go hanger by hanger and put my eyes on everything. There are just too many items to cast a fleeting glance and tell if there's gold in them thar hills! Take your time and go often. The treasures will reveal themselves to you!
6. DON'T pass up something with a great fit! I'm talking PHENOMENAL fit! Especially when it comes to skirts and pants. Even something painfully ugly will look FABULOUS with a perfect fit!
7. DON'T take thrifting too seriously. It's supposed to be fun. So you could kick yourself because you passed up that fur coat because you wanted to think about it and when you decided that your quality of life would triple with it in your closet; you return to the store to find it gone. You forgot Don't #3! No big! I promise you, you'll come across something else equally FABULOUS and MONUMENTAL on another visit!