Monday, September 13, 2010

Thrift Away

I've said before how much I love going to Thrift Stores. It's like this great treasure hunt, you know there must be something great in there; but it's not going to give itself up easily. Like any worthy treasure, it must be searched for (and sometimes fought for). The other day in the Hospice Thrift store, I was scanning the shoes, and a girl was holding a pair of cute hiking boots talking to her friend about them. She seemed so unsure as to whether to get them and I have to be honest,it was all I could do not to say, "You don't want those. Here, take a look at these lovely Mosimo flip flops!" But alas, she must have sensed that I was a hovering vulture, waiting for her to drop the prey. Good hunter that she was, she never took her hand off the boots and she claimed the kill! Ah well, the beauty of thrifting is that there is always another find!

Photobucket

I absolutely fell in love with this dress and couldn't believe that it actually fit! The back has these really stunning cut outs at the shoulder blades. Kind of like a racer back but with an added touch. But as you can see from this dressing room picture, thrifting is work. Most people leave their stuff in the dressing room, it's small and not well lit, and there just isn't much room for everything. I take huge arm loads of stuff and then try on everything....actually deciding on a fraction of what I take in.

Photobucket

I found the sweetest black dress that just reminds me of that 50s glamour. I plan to wear it soon, so I'll be sure to post the pics. However, I had to do just a tad bit of adjusting first. It was covered in ebroidery and beads across the bodice. I'm just not that kind of girl....so out came my seam ripper (Marisa over at New Dress a Day inspired me) and I took that bad boy off. What a difference?!

Photobucket

Photobucket

I paid $5 each for the dresses and $3.50 for the boots, which by the way are in like new condition! I'm telling you, it's the love of the treasure that spurs me on!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! ~Serene